Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A legend dies


I was sad to hear about the death of Robert Goulet. It was in the early 1980s, soon after I started in newspapers and he was appearing at the old Downingtown Inn. The Downingtown Inn was the place to go in its time, all the celebrities would go there and he was one of them.
I was assigned to interview him after his performance. Sure, he was an actor and trained to put on a good appearance for the public, but he was really charming. And his voice!! He wasn’t bad looking either.
After I finished asking him what I’m sure were some stupid questions, he told me it was the best interview he had ever given. Then he reached down, grabbed my hand and kissed it. I was speechless.
What a line, but I didn’t care.
Unfortunately, my husband was there with me, taking photographs (including the one above). Again unfortunately, he didn’t get a shot of the kiss. But I know it happened.
Over the years, his name would pop up in conversations -- usually making fun of him. But I stood up for my man.
He holds a special spot in my heart -- and on my hand.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the news of his death i had not heard.
and thanks for the only classy photo of him i could find. most are bad concert ones or ones where he is joking on show sets.
really am surprised he died so long ago and i did not hear?
thanks again.

October 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home